Watershed management has therefore emerged as a new paradigm for planning, development and management of land, water and biomass resources with a focus on social and institutional aspects apart from biophysical aspects. Watershed management becomes increasingly important as a way to improve livelihood of people while conserving and regenerating there natural resource. The role and importance of community participation is now accepted. Watershed management programmes therefore should be intimately linked with the people whose socio economic and cultural backgrounds play a decisive role in e planning, implementation and operations of watershed programmes. This Project is funded by the Govt: of India for the sustainable development in rural areas. In Kerala Govt, has decided that the implementation part of this project is under the leadership of Block panchayaths. The Kerala Govt: Rural development department accredited some NGO’s as TSO’s by a screening process and Rajiv Youth Foundation is also selected in this process as TSO of IWMP. 5 Block panchayaths appointed Rajiv Youth Foundation as Technical Support Organisation and currently we are providing Technical Support to 7 IWMP projects lay in those 5 block panchayaths.
- Areacode A1 project in Areacode Block Panchayath
- Wandoor B1 project in Areacode and Wandoor Block Panchayaths
- Areacode A3 project in Areacode Block Panchayath
- Wandoor Project in Wandoor project Block Panchayath
- Kuttipuram Project in Kuttippuram Block Panchayath
- Parakkadavu Project in Parakkadavu Block Panchayath
- Pothankode Project in Kazhakkoottam Block Panchayath
- Main objective of IWMP is to preserve and conserve the ecology, restore and develop degraded natural resources by arresting soil loss, improving soil health and soil moisture.
- Rain water harvesting and recharging of ground water table enables multi cropping and introduction of diverse agro based activities which help to provide sustainable livelihood to the people residing in watershed area.
- To promote livestock development, fishery management, and to encourage dairying and marketing of dairy products.
- Improving the capacity of community to manage common natural resource.
- Enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of rain water and runoff use, improve vegetative cover and reduce soil erosion through better rain water management.
- Conserving as much rain water as possible in the place where it falls and also increasing the ground water level to get water through out the year and maintaining it for sustainability.
- Utilizing the available land to its maximum productivity by adopting various or suitable measures according to the land capability and without any environmental degradation.