This also is a Targeted Intervention project of Kerala State AIDS Control Society under health and Family Welfare Department, Government of Kerala. Goal of the project “Reduce STI/HIV infection among long Distance truckers passing Palakkad District through facilitated behavior change, STI services, condom promotion and create an environment favorable to such behavior change” Introduction The activities to achieve the objective are selection and training of PEs, meetings at the hotspot level and DIC level, IPC, Provision of quality STI/ICTC referral services, Provision of increased condom services, advocacy meetings, partner meetings, help to meet social development needs, capacity building programs to improve leadership skills of CBO leaders, new SHGs, membership campaigns to increase membership of CBO, and increased CBO participation in TI program. We work to achieve 100% of regular contact, 100% STI screening, 100% of ICTC referral, 100% condom movement, and Risk Reduction Counselling to the 100% of high risk group. The major shift in activities this year from last year’s approach is priority for HRG testing and concurrent review (Quarterly) by the Project Officer to improve the quality of the program.
- To impart knowledge on sexually transmitted infections including HIV and its prevention among the truckers and helpers passing through the Kerala – Tamilnadu boarder in Walayar, Palakkad.
- To motivate the truckers to access different needed service provisions in HIV/AIDS and sexual health.
- To ensure early identification and complete treatment of STIs among the truckers by providing quality STD care.
- To ensure correct and consistent condom usage among the truckers while including in non procreative penetrative sex and ensure the accessibility and availability of condoms to the target group at all times.
- To create enabling environment by taking care of the felt needs of the community as well as involving the influential members of the community in the programmers In the month November 2008, Rajiv Youth Foundation started the implementation of Truckers TI project.
The following are the reasons for implementing HIV prevention programme among truckers:
1) Truckers are vulnerable to HIV due to a higher prevalence of risky sexual behavior, which results from a variety of social and economic factors as well as their work patterns.
2)36% of truckers are clients of sex workers and 15-20% of clients appear to be truckers. Therefore truckers represent a key sub segment of the total male client population.
3)Long distance truckers’ move throughout the country, those who are at higher risk of HIV can form transmission bridges from areas of higher prevalence to those of lower prevalence..
We could contact and provide services to 43241 truckers in the current phase. The main services we providing are communication for behaviour change, counseling, STI services, ICTC testing, condom education and distribution etc.
- Health Camps :- We Conducted 2 Health camp and 2 Eye camp at Walayar for truckers. Around 139 truckers undergone health checkup. We could provide free medicine to all the patients.
- ICTC :- KSACS allowed a new ICTC at Walayar and we started the functioning of the same on 4th May 2011. District Panchayath President Sri. Kanadamuthan inaugurated the ICTC and many dignitaries were present in the function.
- Condom Social Marketing :- There are 80 Condom Social Marketing outlets functioning under the project and we are distributing Trill and ustad condoms through these outlets. We are distributing condoms directly to truckers through PEs and ORWs also.
- Local Advisory Committee – A local Advisory Committee exclusively for Truckers TI implementation was formed. This committee consists of Brokers Association Secretary, Transporters Association president, Kanjikode Industrial forum Secretary, Steel Manufacturing Association Secretary, Commercial Tax Assistant Commissioner, Traffic SI, and Motor Vehicles Inspector.
- Trucker’s Utsav :- We conducted Truckers utsav programme on February 2013. As part of this, we organized various cultural programmes like Drama, Cinematic dance, Songs, games etc and a health camp at Walayar. In the health camp, in addition to free health checkup we organized diabetic testing, blood group identification, blood pressure identification and medicine distribution at free of cost. We paste stickers containing the message regarding ‘HIV prevention and Clinic availability’ on the front glass of all Lorries passed through Walayar in this day and distributed leaflets in Tamil and Malayalam.
- Refreshment Station for Truckers :- We started a refreshment station with resting and toilet facilities for truckers at Walayar. This station is working 24 hours & 7 days in a week. We have appointed 2 staffs here and they also passing health related messages to truckers.