Rajiv Youth Foundation has been implementing Composite targeted intervention programme from December 2006 onwards in Palakkad District with the target areas of Ottappalam, Shoranur municipalities, and Pattambi, Cherpullassery panchayaths. In 2008, the Project scaled up to thematic project for MSM community with Palakkad, Chittoor municipalities and Mannarkkad, Alanalloor, Puduserry Panchayaths as additional target areas. The project has identified 1004 MSMs (Palakkad 122, Walayar 60, Chittur 60, Mannarkkad 120, Alanalloor 60, Shoranur 163, Ottappalam 77, Pattambi 241 and Cherpullassery101).
“Prevent the new HIV infection among the MSM at Palakkad District”
The activities to achieve the objective are selection and training of PEs, meetings at the hotspot level and DIC level, IPC, Provision of quality STI/ICTC referral services, Provision of increased condom services, advocacy meetings, partner meetings, help to meet social development needs, capacity building programs to improve leadership skills of CBO leaders, new SHGs, membership campaigns to increase membership of CBO, and increased CBO participation in TI program. We propose to achieve 100% of regular contact, 100% STI screening, 100% of ICTC referral, 100% condom movement, and Risk Reduction Counselling to the 100% of high risk group.
The major shift in activities this year from last year’s approach is priority for HRG testing and concurrent review (Quarterly) by the Project Officer to improve the quality of the program.
The project proposes 1 Project Manager, 1 ANM/Counsellor, 1 M & E Officer, 4 Outreach Workers, one Accountant and 17 Peer Educators for the implementation of the programme.
- To ensure the safe sex practice to 100% of the stake holders.
- To increase the STI service utilization to 100%.
- To increase the regular health check up to 100%.
- To improve the DIC services to attract the 100% stakeholders to the project.
- To improve the leadership qualities of the CBO members.
- Outreach and communication: Out reach based on the Risk and Typology of the HRG, One to one communication, Counselling, follow up counselling, group discussions, bcc events, focus group discussions, video show, and behaviour change analysis etc.
- Services: STD identification through symptomatic& asymptomatic screening, counselling, referrals to other outlets and follow up, Provide commodities like condom and Lubricants, Services like anal & oral STI Management, Linkage of services- Pulari, Jyothis, Care & Support etc
- Enabling environment: Advocacy, Crisis Management, Legal Aid etc.
- Community mobilization: Collectivization of HRG, Space for community events, Capacity building to assume ownership etc.
Expected outputs from these activities are…
- Increase in safe sex practice of MSMs on STD/HIV/AIDS to 100%
- Increase of STD checkups to 100% of stakeholders
- Treatment to all STI diagnosed cases and their partners
- Correct and consistent condom usage to 100%
- Increased participation of local leaders, Govt. officials, Police, PRIs, other agencies in the TI programme
- Increase in the regular health check up to 100%
- Improvement of the DIC services to attract the 100% of the Primary Stakeholders.
- Improvement of the leadership qualities of the CBO members.